Saturday, June 5, 2010

Requiem for a Dream (2001)

Darren Aronofsky directed the most disturbing, gut wrenching film ever made (the last time i watched it I puked). Basing things, purely on the way it was shot, this is the greatest film ever made. It pulled me in and made me feel for the characters. It's ending instills something in you that just makes you not want to speak. It has pulled more emotion from me than any film I have ever seen ("Kramer vs Kramer" and "Revolutionary Road" are kind of close). The actors really made me believe this was their lives. Jared Leto carries us through the film as Harry Goldfarb, a junkie who see's a meaningful legitimate future. However, the means by which he intends to go about it is very unorthodox. Leto is also so great in that, he is the link between the two stories. Ellen Burstyn delivers the most impactful and powerful female performance I have ever seen in a film (albeit Angie in "Changeling" was great as well). Jennifer Connelly is incredibly convincing as Harry's junkie addict girlfriend Even Marlon Wayans gives us a performance to remember. This film should be shown in every high school in the country. It would reduce drug use without a doubt in my mind. It was also Aronofsky's first big film, and led to bigger things like, The Fountain and The Wrestler. A powerful film that wouldn't only make my top films of the decade, but would be in my top five list of all-time, with no contention. Brilliant piece of cinema. 10/10

-Travis Stauffer

No comments:

Post a Comment